Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Catching Up

So when I mentioned that I'd do my best to update, I meant it, but obviously didn't follow through very well!

The week after Thanksgiving was a busy one for someone who doesn't get out much. I had a doctor's appointment on December 1 with Dr. H. He said my wound was looking good, no more skin infection around it (PTL!) and then he redressed it and said he wanted to see me in a few weeks. Probably the biggest part of our visit was the discussion of when I should be getting a skin graft. When I left Spectrum and after talking with the wound doctors there, my understanding was that I would probably be wearing my wound vac until January some time, then when the wound would be too shallow for the vac, I would only be dressing it with salve and gauze. The skin graft was talked about, but they made it sound like it was something I could do later. For those of you that don't get queezy at the thought of an open wound or even if you just don't quite understand what it is that's on my stomach, let me explain. I have an open wound that is quite large and deep. This is not just from my 3 inch appendectomy incision. This wound happened because I had infection that surrounded the original incision and for whatever reason, a large part of my skin had to be cut away because it was infected by an unknown growing bacteria that was spreading all across my abdomen and back. Once cleared, the wound was 8cm wide by 17.5cm long by 3 cm deep...and there was also a "hole/tunnel" that was cut away inside the wound that was another 3cm deep. Yeah, not fun to think about. The wound doctors told me that I would have a SIGNIFICANT scar, but I told them I wasn't much of a bikini wearing girl anyway, and I just wanted it to heal so that I can take care of my family again. They seemed satisfied with that answer and didn't say much more in the area of skin grafts, other than it would probably have to happen at some point. Well, Dr. H said that he doesn't believe the wound will heal completely UNLESS I do a skin graft. It does make sense. My wound is big and for the skin to all close up, he said it would take a really long time. If I do a skin graft, then that would close it up a lot quicker. So before I left the office, an appointment was made with the plastic surgeon for a consult, but not until mid January. It makes me nervous thinking about having to have another surgery and also having another site that will have to heal, but again, God is in control, and in order to heal completely, I'll do it.

Keaton had his first appointment with our pediatrician on the 2nd and he passed everything with flying colors. We don't even have to go back until his 2 month appointment because our doctor knows my situation and thought it would be easier for me and getting out if we just waited until then. Also, she isn't concerned with Keaton's growth and development because he had gained an ounce a day. We have never been worried about Keaton throughout this whole thing. He was taken care of by the best nurses (in my opinion) in West Michigan and he really didn't have any struggles except that he needed to get the eating thing down. I think a lot of people think that he was in the hospital for more serious things, but he wasn't. He breathed on his own from birth, never had any infections, had his IV out as soon as he started keeping food down...he was just a lazy eater. He's definitely made up for that though and is doing great. To be honest, he's the EASIEST baby I've had so far! Peyton and Addy were both good babies too, but even they cried more than Keaton does. When he's awake he just looks around, checking everything and everyone out. He NEVER cries unless he needs to eat, and even then, it's usually if he's REALLY hungry. Maybe he lets out a grunt here and there and he doesn't always sleep the soundest at night, but I'll take that! So we are very thankful that he's doing so well and growing like a weed.:)

That really brings me to this week. So far I've had 5 vac changes, and they really are getting easier every time. I think that's another thing people don't necessarily understand. I may have explained this before, but I'll do a quick (?) explanation again. I carry around a little black bag with a machine in it that also has a long tube attached to it. The machine is constantly running and "vacuums" out the drainage from my wound. The tube is attached to a black sponge that is cut to perfectly fit over my wound. The tube and sponge are taped to my stomach over the wound. When the machine is turned on after the vac change, the sponge gets vacuumed/suctioned together (probably the most painful part of the change) and that's what's working my wound to help it to heal. Because of this vac, my wound will heal months earlier than if I would have just gauze on it. So everywhere I go around my house, I carry my black bag and tube around the house. It's my "friend".:) Since it runs on battery, when I go to bed at night, I have to plug the bag into a cord in the wall, lay the bag next to the bed and sleep plugged into the wall. I've gotten used to this whole process, and every once in a while I catch myself thinking about how sick of it I am, but I guess I have to quickly squash those feelings because I really have no idea how long I'll have to be attached to my vac, and I don't want to start having negative feelings way before the end is in sight. And as my nurse has said to me, it definitely could be worse.

For all you prayer warriors out there who have been praying for healing, let me give you some stats: my wound will be measured at my last vac change of the week. So far it was measured on November 26 and December 3. The wound is definitely shrinking! If you go above to reread the measurements that I wrote earlier in this post you can compare them to the Dec. 3 measurements: 7.5cm x 16cm x 2 cm and the tunnel is at 1cm. Not THAT'S an answer to prayer! Then over the weekend, the tunnel healed up so much that the extra sponge they packed in was no longer needed...thanking God for honest to goodness measurable progress!!

This week there is nothing in the planner except vac changes which happen first thing in the morning. Basically, the day consists of hanging out with Keaton, and my mom and dad. I'm so thankful they're here. This would be VERY hard without them. Peyton and Addy are enjoying their regular routine of school and babysitter. I get out only when needed and I do need to watch how much I do during the day. I get sore when I do too much and usually pay for it the next day. I've been trying to not take as many meds, which has been fine, but it's nice still having them on the counter, just in case. The Christmas tree was decorated last night and we occasionally get other things done around the house, but I want to heal, so it's best to be sitting or laying the majority of the day.

I can not tell you how blessed we are for the prayers that you all are saying on our behalf. I know that I've said this so many times, but it can't be by chance that my body has healed thus far. It isn't just medicine that did the work of taking the infection away. God has been present in every place during surgery, every CT and ultrasound, every antibiotic, every nurse and doctor, everything. And He keeps showing his face even to this day, through the sweet same home nurse that I've had for the first 2 weeks (probably the hardest vac changes, I've been told) when I could have had someone different every single time, to Peyton and Addy's laid back and well behaved natures while mommy can't be running around, to Keaton's quiet and sweet demeanor, to meals provided, and friend visits, and I could go on and on.

These aren't just things of chance.

This isn't just people being kind.

This is how the family of God does things. This is the face of God shining down and we praise Him for every moment of this journey.

Blessings!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for being such an encouragement to me with your testimony! You have an amazing testimony! We continue to pray for you and thank God for the healing that has already taken place!

    ReplyDelete